Saturday, February 11, 2012

Bump in the Road

Yesterday a good friend came over bearing guide books, other helpful trip related items and advice (she's adopting for the 4th time - all from China/Taiwan). After she left, we received an email from our adoption agency informing us of a possible problem with our travel dates. We are approved for 2 children, aged 0-3 years old. Apparently OUR government, The United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), reads '3' as 36 months. Kaleb is 3 1/2. So this will entail more paperwork, and possibly delay our travel.

Needless to say, I was a bit in shock. My oldest daughter, reminded me that she has good hearing. Evidently my voice gets louder when I'm upset :/ After remembering to pray, God calmed me down. Our Travel Adviser was sweet and worked after hours answering my concerned emails with different possible scenarios. It appears that  the US Consulate in Guangzhou may deny our requested consulate appointment, or grant it, but either way we will need to have USCIS amend some of our paperwork. I think Travel Advisers probably deserve some kind of 'battle pay' in breaking news to distraught parents :) Our Social Worker is also very helpful and she thinks that USCIS will be able to quickly resolve the issue, but we have to keep on the situation and related offices.

In the words of Yogi Berra, "It ain't over 'til it's over". I know that this is small in the big scheme of things. We have a big God. I need to remember to trust Him through the ups AND downs.

No comments:

Post a Comment