Friday, March 9, 2012

Friday morning

Kaleb is 'out' again - which is probably good. Even after all the sleep he got yesterday, he slept through the night pretty well too, he still has the cough though, and we're not sure about a sore throat. I took his temp. once when he got up around 3 a.m. and it was 100.2 then again a little while ago and it was 101.8, so it's down from yesterday. He's also acting more like his happy little self. Praise the Lord! Thanks for the prayers!

Last night I was able to email the doctor at SLU who reviewed his file and prescribed the scabies medication for us, and she was able to give us some helpful information. She thinks we're doing all the right things, which is comforting to hear. I'm thinking this is where having other kids is probably helpful. She also told us what to look for and what to do if we see some other symptoms.

I only brought a limited number of outfits for Kaleb because of our baggage limitations, and the fact that I had no idea what size he was. So we have washed things, but I'm wondering how many layers I need to put on him before we go to the airport later. I guess this is where it helps that almost everything is big on him. He'll end up looking like the little boy in the snowsuit on 'A Christmas Story', where his arms stick out and he can't put them down ;) The outfit that they brought him in the first day is very warm, but I took him to our hotel
restaurant in that yesterday, and we were getting even more looks than normal. I think it maybe screamed 'country bumpkin'; and he seemed a little sad about it. He seems pretty happy when we put him in the 'American' clothes that we brought instead. It's a sad commentary when a 3 year old can feel 'judged' by his clothes. Of course it's just a guess on my part, I could be way off.

The people in the hotel are probably mostly business people, but even most of the people on the streets around here seem to dress very stylishly. David thought the cars look pretty expensive too. I guess we have the same thing in America - quite a jump between the rich and the poor. I don't know if they have much of a middle class or not. We also noticed that some of the people who work in the hotel that speak English, seem to have a distinctive British accent. I even heard one with an Australian accent, which was kind of funny.

I don't remember if I wrote about our going to the wrong Holiday Inn the other day. But while we were walking, one (probably teenage) girl with bright red hair started talking in English to David about Kaleb. When David gave her the card about us adopting him, she disappeared for a minute and came back with some food item that she had bought from a street vendor for Kaleb. It was very sweet of her, and of
course Kaleb liked the food very much.

Well, David is getting all the cuddle time - it's my turn now :)

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear Kaleb is feeling better and can't wait to hear about the flight. Our Praise item for the day is that Kaleb has waited 3.5 years for you two. As I reflect on it in that manner versus you two waiting on him, it brought joy to my heart for Kaleb. What a blessing for him and may he come to know the Lord through you two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! So sorry, I don't know where my "comment" went, but I thought I published it yesterday! :(
    We are SO excited that Kaleb is fitting in so well! I am certain that he can already feel God's presence with you and is comforted by you! Too funny about the new clothes, but maybe he didn't have too many clothes where he was so new clothes are fun!
    I love your story about the girl buying him some food! That is SO sweet! You'll have to tell me more about the card you have explaining the adoption.
    Needless to say, we cannot wait for you to be back home. We pray every day for you, for your health and safety and just smooth going in general! Love that Kaleb is excited about his new family, including his "adopted" brother. I asked Christopher if he wanted to tell Kaleb anything and here is what he said: "Kaleb, I'm your big brother and I'm your friend and please come home soon!" Gina & the boys <><

    ReplyDelete