Monday, March 12, 2012

Monday

From Ann:
Today went pretty well so far. I'm afraid that Kaleb is going to expect these elaborate buffet breakfasts every day when we get back. David said he wouldn't mind it either. :) Even though Kaleb still enjoys eating, he doesn't seem as intent on eating everything in sight, or to freak out if we take food away. So that's good. We also have heard him use the words bus and car when pointing to the appropriate vehicles, so American words are creeping into his vocabulary. 'Go figure' that they're things with wheels - such a boy.  :)

The open-air medicine market was interesting, but each stall pretty much started to look the same after awhile. There was an altercation at a stall across the street that even had policemen involved and a lot of loud unhappy voices. Kaleb seemed pretty upset by all that. So I handed him off to David, and he seemed to feel more secure. Then we transitioned from open markets to a high fashion european style mall area. Our guide said that one of the stores, Kikikoo, had good clothes for kids. So we headed in to look around. David and I agreed on a pair of pants after searching for the right size - 80/46 (whatever that is). Then we hung out waiting for the other parents to finish shopping. Kaleb was pretty done with shopping - so we rode up and down the escalators until the others were ready. He really liked that. We saw where the Pearl Market was, but it was time for lunch. So we headed to Lucy's on Shamian Island.  Lunch was good, but took quite awhile, so we ended up needing to head back to the hotel shortly after we finished lunch. I think we'll probably go to Shamian's Island again either tomorrow or the next day.

When we got back to the hotel, almost the first thing that happened was that Kaleb wanted to put on his new pants. I asked David if he had shown them to him, but he said he hadn't. I didn't even think Kaleb had paid much attention while we were shopping. They fit him really well since they have a smaller elastic waist than the other pants we have for him here. They are also lined with flannel, which is good, because he loves to stay warm. It's still been pretty chilly and cloudy here. But we haven't had more than a few sprinkles while we've been out and about. I also found a nice little red jacket at the bottom of David's suitcase yesterday that I had forgotten about. When I put it on Kaleb, he LOVED it. He came over a couple of times to give me big hugs right after I put it on him. He still hasn't taken it off from our outing today.

Kaleb & David are currently napping. I'm sure the cold is a big part of his sleeping so much lately. But I'm hoping to have a nap in his schedule for the forseeable future. Good for him and me. :) We'll see how that works out.

From David:
Kaleb had his arm looked at for the TB test this morning and all was good. Then we went to Medicine Street which has a lot of dried plants and animals for medicinal uses. In the same area they also had the live scorpions, fish, snakes, chickens and probably other things. This is where I had the fried ants and it seemed to taste like burnt wood.

Kaleb slept well last night and was more active today although he napped this afternoon and is still fighting the cold/cough.

A few more pictures:
1.  Live scorpions. I didn't have any of these but I did try some fried ants. (Did not taste like chicken.)
2.  I like these two!
3.  Kaleb stretched out during nap time. I think he's comfortable with a big bed.


1 comment:

  1. David and fried ants? Seriously? 80/46 does not sound like a measurement I would like but if it works for Kaleb.........Glad he bleeds Husker red already.

    Very astute that he understands the significance of police - that will go a long ways with Uncle Mike and finally, I love the bottom two pictures. Ann looks relaxed and he looks happy. Don't know where you two are going to be sleeping when you get home..........PTL that you are in your second week and maybe you can enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete